Monday, July 23, 2012

Mobile Disposables

There have been times (more than I'd like to admit to) when I am completely embarassed for my demographic. Early 20s, female, social-media fiends meeting at a college bar with many other nightowls all ready to have a good time. "Would you take a photo of us?" says a girl who perfectly fits my previous description. All the girls line up, hands on hips, backs arched, tummies in, smiling wide, flip the hair and widen the eyes. OK, cool. Who wouldn't want to look prepared for a photo that will no doubt infiltrate Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and maybe even Tumblr before you've finished a single beer? Everyone wants to be portrayed as best as possible. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is when girls live completely through an iPhone camera lens and a button that reads 'upload'. The past few times I've been out with friends and friends-of-friends, it's been a full-blown, posed photoshoot in the middle of the venue. Forced laughs at a sideways glance, choreographed dance poses which hardly appear natural and sloppy faces at temporary acquaintances were all that I could take away from this observation. It made me want to take a couple steps away and disassociate from the crowd. I wasn't five steps out of the circle before I heard a loud "pathetic, isn't it?" attempting to be heard over the thumping music. An older woman trying to enjoy the night appeared blinded by the multiple flashes going off by her side. "I think these kids are forgetting to enjoy where they are, instead, they want everyone on their Facebooks to see 'what a great time they're having'," she said with a roll of the eyes. I just blinked back and couldn't have agreed more. I'm the first one to encourage capturing a moment or snapping a candid shot, but candid shots aren't even candid shots anymore. The second that camera positions itself steady in the air, everyone's body language completely shifts. I can't say I'm innocent of never readjusting an outfit or calling to take the photo on my good side, but I'm aware to take a couple photos and put the camera away. I believe life is for living, not reviewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online